Help for discontinued LCD displays
Is your LCD module is Discontinued?
We are able to support customers who have found that their current LCD has become obsolete.
This happens for two reasons.
- Companies such as Optrex and Densitron are moving towards newer cutting edge technologies and no longer support legacy display technologies such as monochrome character displays, segment , multiplex displays and smaller color displays.
- Companies such as Standish displays are no longer in business.
When a LCD manufacture discontinues a LCD module, the customer finds that there is no such thing as a standard replacement LCD module.
LCD distributors such as DigiKey and Mouser Electronics hold inventory for standard off-the-shelf items, but cannot help you design an equivalent drop-in replacement for the discontinued LCD displays. You may need a LCD resource who specializes in custom LCDs to do this for you. Focus LCDs handles these problems all the time. We can help replace your current display.
Focus Display LCD’s offers the following services to help you with your LCD redesign.
- Modify the bezel on a character and graphics LCD modules
- Modify the PCB for a different size mounting hole
- Convert from a CCFL backlight to a LED backlight
- Replace your EL backlight with a LED backlight
- Increase the brightness of your LED backlight
Three choices for discontinued LCD displays
- Redesign the product to accept a standard off-the-shelf display.
- Work with a company, such as Focus LCDs, to design and manufacture a custom LCD solution.
- Discontinue the production of their current product.
REDESIGN YOUR PRODUCT TO ACCEPT A STANDARD LCD DISPLAY
- Possible lower unit cost since standard displays are in mass production
- No tooling fee required to redesign the LCD
- Cost required to redesign your product to fit the new display
- You will not have replacement displays to repair legacy units
CUSTOMIZE AN LCD TO BE A DROP-IN EQUIVALENT TO THE DISCONTINUED LCD DISPLAYS
- A custom display will fit your current and legacy product without any need to redesign the product
- A tooling fee is a one-time fee and you own the display design
- Upfront tooling costs
- The manufacturer may require a minimum order quantity of 500+ displays (Note: Focus LCDs can work with you on this. Ask about our kanban shipping options)
Below is the link showing the pros and cons of each option.
If you are facing discontinued LCD displays, contact Focus LCDs at 480-503-4295 for technical design assistance. We are happy to assist you.